[home][about][contact] [getting involved] [Educational][Academic] [Media Watch][Views]
Kaveh L. Afrasiabi, PhD
Dr. Kaveh Afrasiabi has taught political science at Tehran University, Boston University, and Bentley College. Afrasiabi has been a visiting scholar at Harvard University, UC Berkeley, Binghamton University, Center For Strategic Research, Tehran and Institute For Strategic Studies in Paris.
- Press TV, December 4, 2012, US spy drones harm peace in the Persian Gulf Region: Analyst
- Press TV, September 1, 2012, NAM can revitalize debate on UN reform: Analyst
- Press TV, August 1, 2012, Obama’s pro-Israeli Iran sanctions are against US’ interests
- National Public Radio, May 22, 2012, Hopeful Signs Ahead for Talks with Iran
- Voice of America Persian, April 12, 2012, مذاکرات هسته ای: راهی برای خروج ایران از تنش منطقه ای؟
- Al Jazeera, March 5, 2012, "Iran's Nuclear Program"
- PressTV, November 1, 2011, "US hatching fictitious anti-Iran plot"
- PressTV, May 19, 2010, Iran Nuclear Program [part 1][part 2][part 3][part 4]
- PressTV, April, 2010 [link]
- Debate with New York Times columnist Roger Cohen on US-Iran relations, October 13, 2009 [part 1], [part 2].
- Afrasiabi and Lawrence Korb on Iran sanctions, Feb. 3, 2010.
- Al Jazeera, Inside Story - Iran's new nuclear talks plan, September 10, 2009
- Brecht forum program Iran at the Crossroads held on August 11, 2009 (video clips: [part 1], [part 2], [part 3], [part 4], [part 5], [part 6], [part 7] )
- Riz Khan - Iran's bitter political divide- August 5, 2009
- Afrasiabi and David Ignatius on US Iran Relations, June 9, 2009.
- Press TV's Fine Print(May 30,2009) [Part 1], [Part 2],[Part 3].
- Mike Wallace defends Dr. Afrasiabi on Harvard affair
- Iran Phobia And US Terror Plot: A Legal Deconstruction, 2012.
- UN Management Reform: Selected Articles and Interviews on United Nations, 2011.
- UN Management Reform, 2011
- Looking for Rights at Harvard, 2010.
- After Khomeini: New Directions in Iran's Foreign Policy (Westview Press)
- Infringements (poetry)
- Iran's Nuclear Program (BookSurge)
- Reading in Iran's Foreign Policy After September 11, 2008
- Diaries and Jallad (novel), 2008
- Nir/North: A Cinematic Story about the Iran-Contra Affair (NEPCO), 1996 (2nd edition)
- State and Populism in Iran, 1991
- "Islamic Ecotheology" in Islam and Ecology (Harvard University Press)
- 1998 "Communicative theory and theology," Harvard Theological Review
- 2003 "Iran's Foreign Policy Since 9/11" in Brown's Journal of World Affairs, co-authored with Abbas Maleki (No 2, 2003).
- 2003 Religion, Environment and World Views: A Global Anthology' (Wadsworth)
- 2003 "Islam and Post-Anthropocentrism" in Encyclopedia of Religion and Environment' (Chicago University Press)
- 2007 "Realism, Not Idealism, Keeping Iran's Nuclear Potential Latent," Harvard International Review
Reviews by Dr. Afrasiabi
- Unity in diversity: NAM's nuclear politics
Nuclear Politics and the Non-Aligned Movement by William Potter and Gaukhar Mukhatzhanova
- Compelling case for Iraq war crime tribunal. Review of The Age of Deception: Nuclear Diplomacy in Treacherous Times by Mohamed ElBaradei
- Family traumas span US-Iran divide. Review of Farhadi's Oscar Winning film, A Separation
- Fallacy of American cosmopolitan power Review of Cosmopolitan Power in International Relations by Giulio M Gallarotti
- Crisis of American international thought. Review of Liberal Leviathan: The Origins, Crisis, and Transformation of the American World Order by G John Ikenberry
- Islam and democracy debate revisited: Review of Democracy in Modern Iran, by Ali Mirsepassi
- A flawed picture: Review of Vali Nasr's Forces of Fortune.
- US Foreign Policy and Iran, by Donette Murray
- Delinking Options on Iran, by Richard Haas
- Negotiating With Iran, by John Limbert
- Iran, A People Interrupted, by Hamid Dabashi
- The Last Great Revolution, by Robin Wright
- Iran's Intellectual Revolution, by Mehran Kamrava
- Political Biography of Ali Shariati, by Ali Rahnema
- The Soviet Socialist Republic of Iran, by Cosroe Chaqueri
New York Times Articles
Poetry, Fiction, Essays
- Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, A proposed endgame for the Iranian nuclear crisis (February 25, 2013)
- Asia Times, Iran nuclear talks reach a turning point (March 1, 2013)
- Middle-East Online, France's Blind Mission in Mali(January 18, 2013)
- Asia Times, Obama duo offers new hope on Iran(January 11, 2013)
- Middle-East Online, Iran Likely To Respond To Signs of US Goodwill(January 10, 2013)
- Asia Times, Middle East peace hinges on will(December 22, 2012)
- Asia Times, Iran nuclear talks produce a litmus test(December 18, 2012)
- Asia Times, Syria's chemical weapons, Iran's red line(December 5, 2012)
- Asia Times, Morsi, Egypt's Lincoln?(November 27, 2012)
- Asia Times, New balance of terror in the Middle East(November 21, 2012)
- World Policy Institute, Non-Aligned Movement Poised to Take Action(September 18, 2012)
- Asia Times, A Syrian quartet worth hearing(September 16, 2012)
- Asia Times, Iran brings new direction to NAM(August 30, 2012)
- Intl. Herald Tribune, Gathering Hope in Tehran(August 23, 2012)
- AL Monitor, Why West Should Curb Hostility To Non-Aligned Summit in Tehran(August 20, 2012)
- Asia Time, One step forward in Mecca, one back(August 18, 2012)
- Asia Times, Iran's New Summit Diplomacy (August 10, 2012)
- IR Diplomacy, Ten Questions on Bulgaria Bus Attack (July 31, 2012)
- Asia Times,
Iran nuclear talks limp forward (July 28, 2012)
- Middle East Online, Lavrov's Crucial Iran Visit (June 13, 2012)
- Asia Times, Iran Prepares for Moscow (Interview with Ali Asghar Soltanieh, Iran's Ambassador to the IAEA, June 9, 2012)
- New York Times, Critical Threshold in the Iran Crisis (May 11, 2012)
- International Caspian Studies Institute, International Law and Iran’s Policy on the Caspian Sea: Shifting Paradigms (2012)
- Asia Times, After Istanbul, confidence for confidence (Apr. 17, 2012)
- Asia Times, Nuclear chess in Istanbul (Apr. 13, 2012)
- Asia Times, Iran not keen to walk Turkey's red carpet (Mar. 27, 2012)
- Asia Times, Locked in an Orwellian centrifuge (Mar. 6, 2012)
- Agence Global, Iran Questions IAEA's Resolve and Impartiality (Mar. 3, 2012)
- Asia Times, Obama, the Jewish lobby and the bomb (Feb. 29, 2012)
- New York Times, Dealing With Iran on the Nuclear Issue (Feb. 16, 2012)
- Asia Times, Hiatus in European debate on Iran (Feb. 10, 2012)
- United Press International, Iranian author criticizes IAEA report (Nov. 9, 2011)
- Asia Times, Small US-Iran step on a long road (Nov. 5, 2011)
- MR Zine, Legal Flaws in US Complaint Against Iran (Nov. 3, 2011)
- Time Magazine, What Does the Fall of Libya's Gaddafi Portend for Syria's Assad? (Sep. 1, 2011)
- Asia Times, US rebuffs Russian ingenuity on Iran (Jul. 20, 2011)
- Asia Times, False bells on Iran's nuclear program (Jun. 10, 2011)
- The Guardian, The west's silence over Bahrain smacks of double standards (Apr. 29, 2011)
- New York Times, A Seat for Turkey (November 18, 2010)
- Asia Times, NATO's Iran 'threat' conundrum (November 16, 2010)
- Middle East Online, Iran, Cold War Analogies Misused (November 11, 2010)
- Asia Times, Sympathy for Iran spawns new world order (October 26, 2010)
- International Herald Tribune, Shared Interests (October 23, 2010)
- Asia Times, US sees Iran as friend and foe (October 21, 2010)
- Iran Review, Ominous Signs in Iran Under Siege (October 1, 2010)
- Asia Times, Europe's Iran sanctions may backfire (July 28, 2010)
- Monthly Review, Remembering Fred Halliday (April 29, 2010)
- Asia Times, Iran's reformists under fire (March 2, 2011)
- Asia Times, New setback at Iran's Bushehr plant (March 1, 2011)
- Asia Times, Iran on new voyage of discovery (February 24,2011)
- International Herald Tribune, Trapped in Europe's Airports (April 21, 2010)
- NY Times, New nuclear posture deeply flawed (April 7, 2010).
- San Francisco Chronicle, Insight: U.S. should take Iran's nuclear counter-offer seriously (Mar. 20, 2010).
- Free Thought Manifesto, The Case for a Parallel UN
- Al Jazeera Magazine, Iran's Double Crisis (Dec. 29, 2009).
- Monthly Review, Remembering Howard Zinn (Feb. 3, 2010)
- Washington Times, Salvaging the Uranium Deal (Dec. 22, 2009).
- World Politics Review, Steps Toward Crafting a Nuclear Deal With Iran (Oct. 2009)
- World Politics Review, Iran's New Nuclear Diplomacy (Sep. 2009)
- Washington Post, Q and A with Kaveh Afrasiabi (Jun. 2009)
- Huffington Post, Obama Should Congratulate Ahmadinejad (Aug. 2009)
- UN Chronicle, Interview with Ambassador Mohammad Khazaee, President of the Executive Board of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the United Nations Populations Fund (UNFPA) (May 2009)
- The UN Chronicle Interview with Jean-Marie Guéhenno, "We are more advanced in Peacekeeping than in Peacebuilding efforts" (2007)
- Council on Foreign Relations, "US, Syria, and Iran" (Oct. 2008)
- Asia Times Nuclear Rights and Human Rights in Iran (Dec. 2009)
- Council On Foreign Relations. "US Should Engage, Not Isolate Iran"
- UN Chronicle, "Conversation with Assistant Secretary General, Robert Orr, On UN Management Reform" (No. 2, 2006)
- UN Chronicle, "Conversation with Mohammad Khatami on Alliance of Civilizations,"(No. 1 2007)
- UN Chronicle, "Who Should Lead Our Anti-Terrorism Efforts?" Co-authored with Edward McMahon (No. 1, 2003)
- UN Chronicle, "Conversation With Shirin Ebadi, the 2003 Nobel Peace Prize Winner" (No. 1, 2004)
- UN Chronicle, "Listening, Inclusiveness, Tolerance, Reciprocity: Dialogue Among Civilizations" (No. 2, 2001)
- UN Chronicle, "Conversation With Ambassador Margaret Ellen Loj on UN Peacebuilding Commission, (No.1 2006)
- Der Tageszeit, "Die UN Brauchen enien mittleweg," (5/31/2005)
- Asia Times, "UN tackles the pillars of intolerance," (Nov. 2008)
- UNDP, "Saving the UN From Itself" (September, 2008)
- South Centre, Geneva, "Reforming the UN the Bush Way," (Fall, 2005)
- Global Dialogue, "The United Nations and the Idea of Dialogue Among Civilizations"
- Asia Times online, "Ban Ki-Moon and Global and UN Challenges" (2008)
- UNDP.Org,, "Mission Impossible for Ban Ki-Moon" (January 2009)
- Washington Post, "Conversation with Congressman Dennis Kucinich on Obama and Gaza war" (January 2009)
- New York Times, "The West Bank Settlers" (January 2009)
- USA Today, "Iran opts for moral support in Gaza war" (January 2009)
- Middle East Online, "Another war gone badly," (January 2009)
- Washington Times, "Coming to terms with Iran's regime" (Oct. 2008)
- Middle East Online; "The Re-Possession of Gaza" (January 2009)
- Asia Times, "Iran: A case for legal evolution" (Dec. 2008)
- Opposingviews.com, "US Response to the Gaza Crisis" (Dec. 2008)
- Harvard International Review, "Keeping Iran's Nuclear Ambition Latent," (Summer 2006)
- Johns Hopkins University, "Iran's nuclear program: paths to negotiation"
- Christian Science Monitor, "The Costs of American Bellicosity Toward Iran," (Oct. 2007)
- Der Tagesspiegel, "Der geist in flasche halten," (4/26/2005)
- International Herald Tribune, "Talking to Iran" (Dec. 2008)
- Middle East Online, Paradoxes of Iran's Green Movement: From Radical Fundamentalism to Radical Democracy (Jan. 2010)
- Live Leak, Mousavi shifts to allegations of "voting purchases" and still falls short (Jul. 2009)
- Asia Times, Crunching the numbers (Jun. 2009)
- International Herald Tribune, "Iran's Nuclear Program: A Crisis of Choice, Not Necessity," co-authored with Priouz Mojtahedzadeh
- International Herald Tribune, "Saving Face with Iran," co-authored with Abbas Maleki
- International Herald Tribune, "Threats are not the way to deal with Iran," co-authored with Pirouz Mojtahedzadeh
- International Herald Tribune, "Iran Needs Nuclear Energy," Co-authored with Mohammad Sahimi and Pirouz Mojtahedzadeh
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Security Guarantee Missing in Iran," (May 2008)
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Crisis De-Fusion" (Feb. 2007)
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Are Iran's Missiles a Threat to Europe?" (May 2007)
- San Francisco Chronicle, "To Stabilize Pakistan, US Needs To Rethink India Policy" (June 2008)
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Time To Broaden US-Iran Dialogue" (July 2007)
- San Francisco Chronicle, "US, Iran Need to Build Confidence," co-authored with Abbas Maleki (Sept. 2007)
- San Francisco Chronicle, "On the Iraq Study Group Recommendations" (Dec. 2006)
- Boston Globe, "How To Build US-Iran Relations," co-authored with Abbas Maleki (Sept. 2007)
- San Francisco Chronicle, "Iran"s Diplomacy in Action," (August, 2006)
- Boston Globe, "The View From Tehran," co-authored with Kayhan Barzegar (Dec. 2007)
- Boston Globe, "Two-Track Diplomacy with Iran," (April 2006)
- Boston Globe, "Governor"s got it wrong on Khatami," (September 2006)
- Middle East online, "Conversation with Noam Chomsky on Iraq Study Group Report"
- Asia Times online, "Balanced diplomacy or Iranphobia redux? Review of Richard Haass' book)
- Middle East online, "Conversation with Noam Chomsky on Lebanon war"
- "Iran"s Foreign Policy Priorities: Conversation with Iran"s Foreign Minister, Manouchehr Mottaki"
- Washington Post, "A New Cold War: Reagan's Legacy at Risk" (Aug. 2008)
- Washington Post, "Henry Kissinger's Logic" (Dec. 2007)
- Washington Post, "Diplomacy Is the Best Option on Iran's Nuclear Program" (Aug. 2006)
- Washington Post, "The State of the War in Iraq" (Sept. 2007)
- Washington Post, "Iran Looks To the East" (April 2008)
- New York Times,, "Incident at Sea" (Jan. 2008)
- Worldnews.com, "US raid in Syria spooks Iran"
- Trube Blue Liberal, "Captain Ahab and the Islamic Whale" (Jan. 2008)
- Payvand.com. "Debunking Christopher Hitchens" (Feb. 2008)
- Asia Times online, "Pseudo-Intellectualism on Iran: Review of Dabashi's Iran, A People Interrupted) (Nov. 2008)
- Asia Times online, "Obama and the other cease-fire" (January 2009)
- Asia Times online, "A letter to Barack Obama: Middle East Can Turn On A New Axis of Cooperation" (Dec. 2008)
- Asia Times online, "Orwell revisited: Iran and dirty bombs" (Dec. 2008)
- Asia Times online, "The Illusion of American smart power"
- Asia Times online, "Medvedev Holds Key to WTO," co-authored with Natalia Gold
- Asia Times online, "Iran plays the mediator,"
- Asia Times online, "Azerbaijan at crosswinds of a new cold war,"
- Asia Times online, "Howard Zinn on Obama in American History"
- Asia Times online, "The Biden Factor in US-Iran relations"
- Asia Times online, "Iran and Religious Diplomacy: Conversation With Bishop John Bryson Chane"
- Asia Times online, "How Iran Wants To Fix the World: Conversation With Iran's Ambassador to Japan, Abbas Araghchi,"
- Asia Times online, "A Look into Pakistan's Political Future: Conversation With Hassan Abbas"
- Asia Times online, "Let's talk about the bomb: Conversation with Nuclear Expert Matthew Bunn"
- Asia Times online, "Big-Bang IAEA Report Blasts Iran,"
- Asia Times online, "The Next Peace and False Bells on Iran"
- Asia Times online, "Legal Mist Stokes US-Iran Tension in Persian Gulf"
- Harvard Theological Review, ""Communicative Theory and Theology: A Reconsideration," (Spring 1998)
- Global Dialogue, "Hollywood and Clashing Civilizations" (Fall, 2007)
- "Iran, Nuclear Challenges," Iranian Journal of International Affairs (Summer 2007)
- Telos, "Deliberative Democracy and Its Discontent" (Fall 1999)
- Brown's Journal of World Affairs, "Negotiating Iran's Nuclear Populism," co-authored with Mustafa Kibaroglu (Fall 2005)
- Mediterannean Quarterly, "Regionalization In A Competitive Context: The Case of Economic Cooperation Organization," (Fall 2002)
- Middle East Journal, "The Environmental Movement in Iran: Perspectives from Below and Above," (Summer 2003)
- Telos, "Islamic Populism".
- Telos "From Clash of Civilizations To Civilizational Parallelism," (No. 1, 2001)
- Middle East Executive Report, "Iran and the WTO" (Summer 1998)
- "Iran, Caspian Sea, and International Law: Shifting Paradigms," Journal of International Affairs (Fall 2003)
- "The legal regime of the Caspian Sea: beyond the conflicting treaties"
- "Legal and political solutions in preventing the division of Caspian Sea"
- "Where Iran must draw the line in Caspian"
- Payvand.com, "Letter From Madrid: red carpet for President Khatami" (2005)
- Brown's Journal of World Affairs, "Iran"s Foreign Policy After 9/11," co-authored with Abbas Maleki, (Spring 2003)
- Hamdard Islamicus, "Clash of Civilizations and Inter-Religious Dialogue," (Spring 2000)
- "Problems of Deliberative Democracy in Iran: A Theoretical Survey"
- "Mahdism, Theological Globalization, and Non-Violence"
- Iranian Journal of International Affairs, "President Khatami and OIC mediation in Chechniya"
- Carnegie Endowment, "Security Council and Iran's Legal Rights,"
- Opposingviews.com, "Iran and nuclear power"
- Payvand.com, "Energy security and pipeline politics"
- Agence France "Saving the Peace Pipeline," co-authored with Abbas Maleki
Quotes and Citations
- AFP: Iran, world powers set for showdown in Moscow
- AFP: Nucléaire iranien: l'heure tourne, les négociations piétinent
- Christian Science Monitor: Hopes fade for progress at Iran nuclear talks in Baghdad
- Christian Science Monitor: Iran wants relaxed sanctions included in nuclear talks
- UPI: Egypt spy trials sour links with Israel
- LA Times: Arms cache seized in Nigeria was shipped from Iran
- AP: U.S. hiker caught in Iran power struggle
- Iranian president expects nuclear talks to resume
- Chinese leader Hu Jintao to attend nuclear summit in U.S.
- How Iran will fight back?
- War on Iran: Law the first casualty.