[home][about][contact] [getting involved] [Educational][Academic] [Media Watch][Views]
A Proposal for Reconciliation: Seven Steps for Overcoming Current Political Crisis in Iran
EXCERPT TRANSLATION FROM PERSIAN
The way out of the current political crisis hinges on the following:
1) The leaders of the Green Movement should formally acknowledge the legitimacy of the President, and stop labeling the June election as fraudulent. Furthermore, they should, in the strongest possible terms, distance their positions, slogans, and agenda from anti-Islamic and westernized groups that have infiltrated the Green Movement and seek its leadership. These two tasks would not stand in the way of any investigation by a legitimate court into any possible charges against the Green leadership.
2) The President should acknowledge his mistake during the televised debates, and ask for forgiveness from the parties implicated. Of course, this act does not stand against any legal investigation of the accusations made by him.
3) Freedom of speech should be established by Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting and the press should adhere to these standards. News outlets that have been shut down should be allowed to operate freely again.
4) The military atmosphere should be brought to an end, and the national intelligence services must put an end to their unfounded claims against the leadership of the Green movement, accusing them of velvet revolution, soft regime change and months of preparation for regime change based on collaboration with foreigners. They should see the roots of post election developments not in foreign intervention but in our own ambitions, worldly goals, illusions, misjudgments and mismanagements. They should apologize to the nation for their excessive use of force against people.
5) All the detainees, who have often been arrested for unfounded reasons, should be released as soon as possible , except those who have damaged public properties and have resorted to destroying public buildings, particularly those took part in the riots during Ashura.
6) The full identify and photos of those guilty of initiating, aiding and carrying out the events that took place in Kahrizak, University of Tehran, and Sobhan Apartment Complex should be revealed to the public, and their sentences should be announced. A proper procedure should be adopted so that the public can be assured of their punishment.
7) The judiciary should not remain indifferent in the face of extremist and sectarian supporters of the government who under the mask of Velayat-e Faghih (Guardian of the Jurisprudence) intend to eliminate all reformist and Principalist political figures and order the disruption of public gatherings. The judiciary should act against them according to their legal and moral duty.